Sunday, June 14, 2009

And...Action!

Finally a day to rest. It's been a busy week, extraordinary as of late, and the days ahead will require quite a bit as well. If it's not school, it's school. Weekly chores, and well-intentioned obligations. Family, and friends. Unique opportunities, and customary traditions. Life is busy, and in typing those words out, I wonder whether or not it's a Northern Virginia thing, a "this time in life" thing, or a human thing.
Jesus spent his life with people, and even when he was trying to get away for some rest, people still found him. He talked in public squares, in gardens, in boats, and in homes. He ate, he drank, and he fed others. He joined in celebrating marriage, he wept at the loss of a good friend, he pleaded with city officials, and he taught a bunch of rag-tag teenagers and twenty-somethings the necessary skills and lessons for survival. Jesus led an active life, and perhaps in doing so, another example to follow.
I confess that I do a ton of things without really thinking before acting, and yet, how powerful if I really did. How many opportunities could I have made sweeter or more productive? How many times would embarrassment or pain have been avoided, or joy been multiplied if I had put forth even the slightest of mental effort. I am blessed with an active life, and I'm grateful for the friends and opportunities that await me. I believe it's a God-given blessing, as well as a product of my white American heritage. But tonight I realize that I need to do more to better engage (and survive) the busyness of life, and, like all things life related, it starts with having the mindset of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment