Monday, June 22, 2009

Today

Today, two Metro trains collided on the same track, instantly killing two people and severely injuring a handful of others. While it doesn't happen often (three times in 15 years), the reality of such an occurance weighs on my mind; as I commute home tonight on a different line, I wonder how many others are feeling tonight's events.

Today, I received a sunburned neck playing golf (fighting hard to play it well, mind you). While I failed, again, in my attempt to score under 100, I did hit the ball extremely well on the back 9 (58 on the front, 42 on the back). The difference can be attributed to slowing myself down and really concentrating on working through the mechanics of my swing. I tried to focus on one shot at a time, and when I drifted away from worrying about my scorecard, I was able to strike the ball well. I loved being outdoors, I loved the group of guys I played with, and it was a great way to spend my real first day of summer vacation.

Today, I had the priviledge of answering the question, "How was your Father's Day?" What a joy it was to celebrate my son's life yesterday, and to spend the day with family and friends was a true blessing. Commercialized or not, yesterday allowed me to reflect on the fascinating opportunity and remarkable responsibility I have as a role model on one of the most important creations alive today. In answering how my day was, I can't describe how I feel when I look into my son's eyes; the emotions, desires are innumerable and too costly to put into words. I am overwhelmed and in love.

Today, I was reminded that learning needs to be taught, not tested. Am I teaching my students about information, or am I teaching them how to access, process, and communicate information? I suspect that wrestling with this question and becoming an effective educator go hand-in-hand.

Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment